Thursday, July 11, 2013

Two Things

Two pretty big things have happened this week.

1) I had an awesome run on Sunday. Just shy of 3hrs 20minutes of running trails, happily. Feeling strong, feeling steady and feeling like I could just keep going all day. It could not have come at a better time and yeah, I don’t know what to say, other than it was great.

Okay, so maybe I do have more to say, so the long version is this....
Kirsten and I met up, once again, with the Sunday trail running group that we had run with a couple weeks back (previously it was for a Thetis/Stewart Mountain run). This time we met at the Caleb Pike entrance to Gowlland Tod and ran the whole trail to Mount Work and back.

The group had a lot more people this time compared to the last time we ran with them and the weather was quite beautiful – hot, but not too bad when you were under tree cover in the shaded forest.


The big group all started together and eventually fanned out depending on how long you were planning to run, or based on your pace. Kirsten and I stuck pretty solidly with a group of about 5 or 6 guys (mostly the same ones from our last run), with each person sort of naturally taking a turn at the front or back of the pack as we rolled along.

The day was a good confidence boost. My legs felt pretty decent after a tough run at Mt. Finlayson the day before and the different stimulus (new people, new trail) really helped with my struggling mind.

The only small problem with having such a great run though ~ not wanting to run again for fear that the next one isn’t going to be nearly as good, haha.

2) Ironman Coeur d’Alene 2014.


Shane and I bit the bullet and signed up to race IMCdA next June. I’ve had Coeur d’Alene on my radar for a while. The proximity to where we live and the early season race date being two of the reasons why it appealed to me (among others), but I didn’t actually believe there would be any sort of long distance racing happening for me next year. I expected it to be a year of racing sprints and running trails, and I really don’t know what else.

So, when Shane and Dale (IMC alum and tri-friend ~ *waves* Hi Dale!) got talking about CdA and Shane actually seemed pretty gung-ho about it all, well, who am I to say no?

It feels right and I’m pretty darn excited. I’ve got some unfinished business to take care of with this whole Ironman thing.

Now, in fairness to the absolutely huge adventure of TRR that is just around the corner, I don’t plan to give too much thought to IMCdA for the time being. I plan to take a little down time after TRR and probably won’t seriously start training for IMCdA until the fall, but regardless, it’s nice to have the date on the calendar.

Onward to TransRockies!!


p.s. I've mentioned it before, but want to mention it again... in our journey to TRR this summer, Kirsten and I have decided to support Martin Parnell in his TransRockiesQuest 888 – a fundraising effort for Right to Play. We originally set a goal of $1000 and are now half way there. On top of that, every donation we receive will be matched by Right To Play partners 3 times!

For more information or if you'd like to donate, please check out our fundraising page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment