Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ironman Canada 2012 - Race Report

[Disclaimer: much like an Ironman is a long day, this is a long flippin’ post. I was going to break it up into a few pieces, but well, I've decided I just don’t want to. You are welcome to read it in installments though. Also, it may involve a few tears on my part and I apologize if it comes across a bit sad and/or whiny in places, but it will be an honest reflection of what I felt on Sunday and what I am feeling today. So, perhaps grab a snack/drink and settle in….]


So, take 2 parts awesome, then add 1 part suck and what do you get?

My day at Ironman Canada 2012.

It's funny, I've read blog posts before from other people (age groupers, much like myself) who have written about how they were disappointed with their Ironman race and I've always wondered how you could feel disappointed when you've finished such a huge task. Doing an Ironman and completing it is no small feat, and I realize this. Hell, just putting in the training time and getting to the start line is a pretty huge accomplishment.

However, I also now realize that when you have expectations for yourself and you fall short, it kind of knocks the wind out of your sails a bit and disappointment happens.


So, before I get into it, a little background I suppose.

My ‘A’ goal for this race was to have a finishing time that started with a 12. So, more easily put – sub 13hrs. If I had hit all the times I know I am capable of, it would have been close, so it was a tough goal, but I still feel it is an attainable and realistic one.

My ‘B’ goal was to finish ahead of my previous time from IMC 2010 (13:56:16).

My ‘C’ goal – or worst case scenario – was just to finish. In all honesty, I never really considered the fact that I might have to face this “worst case scenario”. In my mind, if I didn’t hit my ‘A’ goal, I felt without a doubt, I would hit my ‘B’ goal, no question. I was confident going into this race. I felt ready.

Of course, things don’t always go as planned – especially in an Ironman.

Now, from the beginning shall we?


Pre-Race
The week leading up to the race was great. We headed up to Penticton on Tuesday and I felt like we settled into a routine pretty easily and quickly. It was nice to not worry about work and to be able to sleep in and just do our workouts whenever it felt right, without being constrained to a schedule.

I love the atmosphere in Penticton on race week and this time around it was no different. We also had a great group of friends come up for the race, so it was nice to get to spend some time with them and go for lunch and what not.

Saturday before the race we dropped off our gear bags and checked our bikes into transition as usual and then each of us (Kirsten, Shane, me) had our last little pre-race meeting with [coach] Kelly.

I was anxious leading up to the race, but not nervous like I had been at this time in 2010. Kelly had a few tidbits to share (and I asked that he remind me to smile when he saw me out on course), but overall I felt pretty at ease and he even commented that I seemed more confident going into this race.

All was good.

Race morning went quite smooth. My Dad dropped us off just before 6am. Special needs bags were placed in the appropriate bins and race numbers were applied like brilliant sharpie tattoos to our arms and legs.

Transition seemed really busy, much busier than I remember it from 2010, but I don’t know that it actually was. The nerves hit me as we began to put our wetsuits on, but I still felt confident and ready for the day.


Swim
As we crossed the timing mats to head down to the beach a few tears welled up in my eyes. As if Kelly had instructed her to do it, a volunteer leaned over and reminded me to “smile – it is going to be a fun day!” It was perfect timing and actually made me smile and laugh (through the tears that is, haha).

Unfortunately we couldn’t see our family and friends on the edge of the beach, so we just waded into the lake, got some water in our wetsuits, did some arms swings, etc. etc. and waited. Oh, and I peed in my wetsuit. Yeah I did, haha ~ I really had to go and the lines for the porta-potties were insane!

One last group hug with Kirsten and Shane and it was nearly go time.

The start was a bit chaotic (as it should be when 2600+ bodies suddenly dive into the water and attempt to go in the same direction) but I felt somewhat comfortable and like I was swimming well. Relaxed, steady and rhythmic.

I would guess about 800m(ish) into the swim, I caught a nice left hook to the face and had my goggles knocked clear off my right eye. I panicked slightly, sucked back a tiny bit of lake water, but was able to stop and frog-kick and get my goggles resituated on my face without getting trampled or pulled under (and thankfully my contact lens stayed put in my eye).

From there, it was pretty consistent and predictable until the turn buoys. Of course, I was never alone and there was some jostling for position and banging and clawing, but I find that IM swims are much less aggressive and violent than sprint swims. In my mind, everyone in an IM just wants their own space and any contact is just because there is no space – not because they are trying to drag you under. I could be wrong, but I like to think of it that way.

I did find the turns a little more hectic and unfortunately ended up having to breast stroke around them each time, as it seemed like everyone in front of me just stopped. The second turn was also the first time I’ve ever really thought to myself “just keep your head above water or you might get dragged under”.

Once around that second turn though, the homestretch went really well. Again, the usual jostling/banging/clawing, but I also felt pretty relaxed and smooth and I was able to find some feet a few times and draft for a bit.

That said, I was soo happy as I approached the shore!

The last time I swam 4km in training I did it in 1:15:47, so I hoped to be in the 1:15-1:20 range. I looked at my watch as I grabbed my swim-to-bike bag and saw a 1:18:xx. Considering the goggle incident and the ugly mess that was the turn buoys, I was pretty pleased.

The day was shaping up well!

Official Swim Time = 1:18:10


T1
After having my wetsuit yanked off, I located my bag straight away and headed for the tent. It went by in a bit of a blur really. I had decided to put on bike shorts (comfort was the prime objective with all the crotch issues I’d been having in the final build) and a jersey, then it was time for helmet, sunglasses, shoes and I was on my way. I found my bike easily, trotted out of transition (I hate that you can’t have your shoes on your bike, but I understand why) and mounted my bike in a weird wobbly fashion that was very inefficient. Turns out, I don’t really know how to mount my bike without my shoes attached to it (go figure), so it was pretty ugly and slow. Funny though, and definitely something to work on for future IMs I suppose.

Official T1 Time = 3:48


Bike
I’ll admit, I was really worried about the bike leg after my last disastrous training ride on the IMC course in July, so I had thought about it a lot. In the end, it turned out to be one of my best rides ever on this course and I was so soo happy with it!

My goal for the bike was to keep my legs turning over, keep a smile on my face and to get through it with a positive mind-set (also, I wanted to be sub-7hrs). I allowed myself to “spin easy” up all the hills, but in exchange I told myself I had to “push the downs”.

Thinking back on it now, like a lot of the day, the bike is a bit of a blur. I know I spun out of town happy and comfortable.

McLean Creek Hill went well and I passed quite a few people, without feeling like I was grinding it out or pushing too hard. Shane passed me just after this first climb and we had a quick chat before he sped away on me.

From OK Falls to Osoyoos I just stayed within myself. I pushed a comfortable and quick (for me) pace and didn’t worry about anyone around me. For once, I actually didn’t care if I got passed. I knew what I needed to do and I felt like I did it.

Richter was Richter. It was what I expected. Kelly and Amy [Kelly's wife] passed me in their car fairly early in the climb and their cheers sucked me along up the rest of it. I knew I would see them again at the top and that helped keep me going. In my head I just kept thinking “tick, tick, tick, turn your legs over… spin easy, turn your legs over.…”

I crested the top of Richter, waved and smiled at Kelly and Amy and tucked in for the reward that is the descent. I stopped for a quick pee at the aid station just at the bottom (no lines ~ yay!) and hopped back on my bike to attack the rollers.

Now, I’ve stated before, there is no way these hills should be called rollers. They are horrendous and I hate them. That said, on Sunday, I made them my bitch. Not one negative thought entered my mind. I was happy with the deal I’d made with myself (spin easy up, push it down) and I felt like the rollers absolutely flew by. If it was hot, I didn’t notice. If it was windy, I didn’t notice. It was awesome. (However, the fact that I didn't really notice the heat would come back to haunt me later).

As I headed toward Cawston and the out and back, thinking how great the day was going, I suddenly felt like my back wheel was a little squishy. I didn’t want to believe it at first, so I bounced up and down on my seat a little and sure enough, my rim clanged on the ground. I suppose it just wouldn’t be an Ironman race for me if I didn’t get a flat.

I wasn’t too upset though, in fact, I think I laughed and thought to myself “well, at least I made it through the rollers this year before I flatted”. I glanced at my watch as I started to repair my tire and then got to work. I pulled a nice little pointy rock out of the rubber – it looked like a mini shark tooth – and had everything changed and my bike back together in about 9-10’.

Once back on my bike, I felt like I was flying. I felt great in fact. I passed a lot of people along this stretch and was excited to get to the out and back to see if I could spot Shane, Kirsten and anyone else I may know out on course.

The out and back was the out and back (meh – boring, but necessary) and then it was on to Yellow Lake!

I was in a very bad place when I hit Yellow Lake in 2010 and I did not want a repeat of that. I knew all of our friends and family would be there cheering and I was really excited to get there and see them.

I saw the friends crew first – all decked out in there “team Ando-Dibbs” t-shirts – and I think I threw them a hang loose sign as I approached. Then it was onto Mom, Dad and Tyler (in his white tiger onesie and sombrero – oh yeah – photos to come). It was awesome. One of the best parts of the day for sure (not the onesie, but just the energy of Yellow Lake and getting to see everyone)… and about a million times different than 2010.

From Yellow Lake it was the homestretch and the fun descents! I saw Kelly and Amy again at the turn back into Penticton (Kelly yelling “SMILE SMILE SMILE” was pretty great) and before I knew it, I was on Main Street cruising toward T2 with my ‘A’ goal within reach.

Official Bike Time = 6:55:17


T2
Once again, total blur! I know once I got off my bike I half ran, half walked in a really weird manner on my tip toes (I was still in my bike shoes), grabbed my bag and headed into the change tent with a volunteer. I sat down for a moment while I took stock of everything. Changed from my bike jersey to a running top (I decided to wear a running shirt with sleeves this year instead of my tri top, as I have been getting some chub-rub style chafing on my inner arms when I wear my tri top for anything more than 10k). Then it was shoes and socks, sunglasses and visor. I got up to head out of transition and realized I was still wearing my bike shorts, so I quickly ripped those off (I had my tri shorts underneath, but I think I gave the volunteer a fright – I think when I started pulling my shorts down she thought I was going to be buck naked underneath, haha). I had some sunscreen applied as I headed out and then I was on my way.

Official T2 Time = 4:47


Run
I was excited when I started the run. My ‘A’ goal was within reach and I had absolutely loved the run leg of IMC 2010. It felt so great to be off my bike. Not to mention, I feel like I have been running stronger this season than in previous seasons, so I thought for sure things were going to go well.

My body had a different game plan.

Within minutes, my legs were cramping and I was walking. This first little walk break didn’t last long and I was pretty confident I could shake it off and be okay. I started running again and was moving along at a decent pace until I got to the first aid station where I stopped to walk so I could get in some water and Perform.

My walk through the aid station lasted a little longer than it should, but I did, once again start running. I was definitely struggling, but I was still moving.

I saw my parents at Cherry Lane Mall (about 5k into the run) and actually stopped and chatted with them and got hugs. I really didn’t want to keep going, but I knew I should. At that point, I think I warned my folks that it might be a long night.

Also at that point, I knew my ‘A’ goal might be slipping away, but that things were still okay. I know you just need to be patient in Ironman, as things usually come around, and I was pretty sure I was going to bounce back.

I carried on in the same manner that I had started ~ running for a bit, walking for a bit and trying to get in some calories and fluid and you know, when I was actually running, I think I was moving at a decent pace.

I think it was around the 17 or 18k mark that I saw Shane (he was heading back, I was still heading out), who just happened to be chatting with Kelly at that same time. We stopped momentarily and Shane informed me “this is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life” before we hugged it out and then each carried on our respective journeys.

Kelly caught up with me just after and we chatted briefly. I honestly can’t even remember what I told him at this point (perhaps that I had had better days) but I don’t think I really let him know how bad I was in that moment. I honestly think it was around this time that my body was starting to shut down, but I tried to deny it with everything I had.

Kirsten caught up to me as I chatted with Kelly and I was so happy to see her. Even though I was feeling depleted and my body wasn’t cooperating, I thought by running with Kirsten I’d be able to push through anything and that we'd get to finish Ironman together again.

Unfortunately, I was wrong.

We walked through many of the hills as we approached the turn around and special needs. I didn’t take anything from my special needs bag, even though I really should have. My mouth and my stomach wanted nothing – even though my body desperately needed it.

Kirsten and I carried on together for another couple km’s (mainly walking at this point). In this time, I got really dizzy and every time I tried to take a deep breath, one of three things would happen: I would either start to cough, I would burp and feel as if I was going to puke, or my chest would constrict and it felt as if an asthma attack was coming on (I suffered from stress/exertion induced asthma as a teen, so I know that feeling of your throat/lungs constricting and closing up).

When she suggested we start running again, I told her to go without me. As much as I wanted to run, I couldn’t physically do it. I was bonking and bonking hard.

She reluctantly left me and so I continued to walk. I was pretty much in tunnel vision mode at this point. The only thing going through my mind was “don’t stop, whatever you do, do NOT stop.”

Each aid station I tried to get in as much as I could – cola, Perform, watermelon – but nothing really sat too well in my stomach and it just made me want to puke.

At one aid station a volunteer gave me a full bottle of water and I grabbed a banana. I nibbled on the banana and sipped the water until I got to the next aid station, where I took another banana and carried on in this fashion. The banana was the first thing in quite a while that actually tasted good and was sitting okay in my stomach.

I probably walked for about 12 or 13km. During this time I tried to run a couple times, but my stomach would instantly cramp and I’d feel dizzy, so I’d walk again. Thankfully, I was able to increase my walking pace as the km’s ticked by and in time (once the bananas kicked in I think) I was pretty much power-walking and, shockingly, actually passed a few people who were slow jogging along.

At about 5k to go, I forced myself to start running again. My stomach hurt intensely. The cramping was insane. I pretty much ran down Main Street squeezing my sides as it was the only thing that offered any sort of relief to the pains I had in my abdomen. (I didn’t actually realize how hard I was squeezing until the next day when I discovered bruises where my hands had been).

I saw my Mom as I turned onto Westminster. I gave her the “thumbs down” and started crying. (God, I’m such a baby). She ran with me to the corner, and then my Dad ran beside me for a bit as well (my parents really are the best people ever ~ love you guys).

It is so silly, but I felt embarrassed as I ran past all of our friends who had come out. I felt like I was so slow and that I had made them wait around “all night” while I was out on course. I know this couldn’t be farther from the truth, and that they are all immensely proud of me, but in my mind I was a loser who sucked.

I didn’t feel the same sense of accomplishment that I had the first time I did IMC. I felt let down. I was so sad and so done by the time I hit Lakeshore, I just wanted it to be over. I ran down that finishing chute in such a haze that I didn’t take it all in and try and enjoy it, and I do regret that in a huge way.

Official Run [Walk] Time = 5:42:06

Official Finishing Time = 14:04:07


Epilogue
No matter what, I did an Ironman on Sunday. I covered 226km (140.6 miles) under my own power and I should be proud – and in time, I know the disappointment will fade and the pride will take over.

I also learned some valuable lessons about fueling and hydration. When I looked at my bike yesterday and started to go through what I had eaten and drank, I realized I severely under fuelled on the bike. I had thought I was on top of things nutrition-wise, but I wasn’t. In a way, I think because the run went so well for me in 2010, that I just assumed it would again and I didn’t necessarily respect the fact that it is a marathon. You can will your body to do a lot of things, but if you don’t give it the fuel it needs, eventually it is going to shut down on you. Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way. I also learned what it is like to walk a half marathon – and let me tell you, it kinda sucks.

Of course, immediately after crossing the finish line, I think I probably said I would never do an Ironman again… then within about a half hour, I was trying to decide where I want to race next. I’ve got unfinished business to take care of and am now more determined than ever to get my 12:xx:xx.

Last but not least, I am so so very thankful to all of my friends and family that support this crazy triathlon addiction of mine and I feel so very lucky to get to take on this crazy sport with my two best friends by my side (which, Shane and Kirsten totally rocked it this weekend – so proud of you guys).

Words can’t begin to describe my gratitude and love… but this is long enough, so perhaps more on that another time.

Once again, I am an Ironman!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing!! I totally understand that sometimes it's hard to look at the bigger picture and not get frustrated with a time, but try to remember that a LOT of people probably didn't finish, and you did. Reaching a C-goal is still an accomplishment, and you have learned a valuable lesson for next time! And you're right, no matter what, you are a 2x Ironman. You should be very proud of that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congrats and the kind words of support. Slowly but surely, the sense of accomplishment is taking over the disappointment :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Karyn,
    I read your entire blog this morning and it brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on your accomplishment and for not giving up. You really are one of my biggest inspirations and I love hearing and reading about your training and races. Can't wait to cheer you on in Australia. I hope you get some time to relax and celebrate your second Ironman! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. IM race reports always turn me into a sobbing mess and this is no exception. Congratulations again, Ironman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Karyn! It's so easy to quit when things aren't going well. You are stronger for continuing on! Too bad we didn't meet last weekend, perhaps another time.
    Congrats on being an Ironman triathlete!
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finishing an Ironman is an amazing feat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Blog Karyn and I am SUPER proud of your accomplishment.
    You ARE a 2 x IRONMAN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your honest, sweet post. I'm considering doing Penticton in 2014, and I really appreciate your description, not only of the course but also of your personal journey (twice!) on that course.

    ReplyDelete