Monday, January 5, 2015

Saying Goodbye

As the calendar rolled over to a New Year, I tried to think back to all that 2014 had to offer. As with any year, there were some incredible highs and there were also some not-so-incredible lows.

The early part of the year rolled along in a manner to which I'm accustomed. The ins and outs of daily life happened as I've grown to know them. There was an Ironman to train for and I was in the zone! Everything was happy and comfortable.

Ironman Coeur d'Alene came and went – that day continues to be a highlight of my year and will forever be one of my favourite memories of 2014. (Recaps here, here & here)

And you know, reading back my first post from last year, I realize that I conquered a lot of the goals/fun things that I said I would like to accomplish over the course of year (about 6 or 7 out of 9 in fact)

So yeah, like I said, some pretty awesome highs. Some pretty great accomplishments.

The later part of the year has been different. Not bad necessarily, just different.

A health scare with my Dad (he's fine now, thank goodness) shook me up a bit and brought me to the stark realization that my parents aren't going to be around forever. (Yeah, yeah, I'm 34 and I'm now just realizing this - or should I say, allowing myself to realize this).

As well, a lot of the really big stuff in mine and Shane's world is changing, and we've been living life in a bit of a holding pattern as of late. All of this change will hopefully be for the better, but in the interim, it's definitely a challenge. I've not always been good with change, but I'm working on it.

The biggest low of the year however came on Christmas Eve when Shane and I had to say goodbye to our little Rustbeast. Adjusting to life without the little furball these past couple weeks has definitely been hard.

The amount of unconditional love & utter happiness he brought us over the last 9 years can't fully be put into words.

So I will just say this…

He was my most loyal friend, my fiercest protector, my favourite snuggle buddy and one hell of a running partner.

I miss him.

  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, gosh. I am so, so sorry, Karyn. Dogs are family, and nothing prepares you to say goodbye. Sending love and hugs. So glad your dad is ok. xo.

    ReplyDelete