Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Beer Gut


I bit the bullet today and registered for the Victoria Half Marathon. I've been saying for a couple months now when asked “what's next?” (which is a question I get A LOT!) that I'm “thinking about the half in October, but we'll see.”

“We'll see” has turned into an actual training plan and a desire to get back into it. It's turned into a time goal and a desire to push myself as hard as I can in this race.

I've learned a lot about myself over the last two years in terms of what my body is capable of [so much more than I think] and also, the realization that the best races might not be the fastest races. Most of my goals have been very much the opposite of wanting to see a time on the clock. They've been about so much more. About joy and fun and determination. It's been awesome. I had my happiest and most successful IM to date. I've felt stronger and more confident on the run than I have in years, and well, now I want that same feeling of happiness and confidence, but I also really want to see a certain time on the clock.

So, my goal for this race is 1:45:00 or less.

Is this a lofty goal for me? Yes.
Is it one I think I'm capable of? Yes.

If I don't achieve this will it be a failure? No.
Will I be disappointed? Maybe, but it will totally depend on the day and if I've given it everything I'm possible of giving.

So, I'm putting it out there. Telling the whole wide world (or maybe just the world wide web) what my time goals are in hopes that the universe will listen, and hell, if I say it enough, my brain and body will hopefully start to believe as much as my heart does, right? Right.

Other than that, life has been trucking along. Summer has been full of fun times (friends, food, weddings, conferences, etc. etc.) and sunny SUNNY weather (Victoria has had it good this year).

My 'training' regime has consisted of doing what I feel like, when I feel like.
  • My commuter bike has acquired a lot of kms.
  • My running legs have gotten very comfortable with 45-60min runs (although there have been a couple longer outings thrown in as well, which I'm happy to report went very well).
  • I ran a very hot and humid 5km in Grapevine, TX (more on that in a bit).
  • I hit the trails this past weekend and realized it's been far too long since I've done that sort of running, as I was/am far too sore for my liking.
  • I've swam a bit, but not enough. I miss the pool.
  • I've gotten into a much more consistent walking routine with the pooch now that he is becoming a frail old senior and can't run as much. I think it’s been good for both of us. We're developing good routines that will hopefully make some changes that are coming this fall a little easier to maneuver.
  • Also, I've drank a lot of beer. Both my INR and my weight have been a little higher than I typically like due to that fact, but that's okay. Just means, well... Sober-September here we come!

As for the hot and humid 5km mentioned above. It is a fun run/race that takes place at a conference I attend every summer with work. This year, the conference was in Grapevine, Texas. I love the heat, but I don't get much of a chance to work out in it (let alone humidity), and it is definitely both of those things in the big state.

Anyway, the TLCC Fun Run/Race. AKA: probably the only race where I ever have a shot at winning.

The conference usually holds the 5km fun run/race on the Tuesday morning of the conference. I usually participate as I'm up running or swimming anyway, so why not. Also, see above: ‘probably the only race where I ever have a shot at winning.’ While the competition isn't super stiff, a win is a win and it still feels pretty darn good. Plus, there are Starbucks gift cards on the line.

I'd guess there were about 100-150 people participating on a two loop course. It's very casual and low key and just a nice chance to try and run harder than I would if I was plodding along the running trail or treadmill on my own.

Right off the bat I settled in at the front of the pack with another girl. The pace was hard, but not too too hard. It was 6:30am and probably already about 30*C (aka. not Victoria-like weather). I suppose I could tell that I hadn't pushed myself harder than Ironman pace in quite some time, but figured, it was 5km, so maybe I could hold on.

Through the first loop I was holding on well, about a step or two behind the lead girl, but as we turned the corner for loop two, she dropped the hammer and gapped me in a huge way (while she looked like she was working hard, I have a feeling she was just playing with me on that first loop) and while she never got too too far ahead, I just couldn't close the gap. I checked over my shoulder a couple times to make sure 3rd place wasn't closing in on me (she wasn't ~ phew) and happily crossed the finish line for 2nd place female.


I grabbed some water (have I mentioned how hot it was?) and ran back out on course to meet one of my coworkers and finish her run with her. We then got the best post-race treat ever – the hotel opened their water park early (yes, the hotel had a water park) and we got to take a lap in the lazy river. It was magical.

And that is that. Onward to Victoria Half! 
Happy September Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment