Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bazan Bay 5km 2013 - Race Report

So, as planned, I ran the Bazan Bay 5k on Sunday.

Mentally I have a hard time with 5k races. I love them, because they are over quickly and a good measure of speed. I hate them, because they hurt like hell and I’m always afraid I’m going to be way slower than the last time I ran one.

So, naturally, as Shane and I warmed up and then stood at the start line, waiting for go-time, I was uber-nervous. Even though I had absolutely nothing to prove and no one was going to judge me for my time (I hope) my guts flipped and flopped and I internally fretted about the ‘pain’ that I was about to put myself through.

The "gun" went off…

22 minutes and 7 seconds later it was all over.

I had wanted to go under 22:00 (my current PB is 22:01), but it wasn’t meant to be on Sunday. Besides now it gives me motivation and something to work for on my next 5k race (whenever that may be).

So yeah, overall, the race felt pretty good. Quick and painful (which is exactly what a 5k should be I think) but fun.

My splits were freakin’ ugly - in that they were, oh you know, just a touch uneven (oops). [Approx. 4:10, 4:40, 4:31, 4:24, 4:22]. I'm not sure what I was doing during the 2nd km (spacing out apparently) but I’m not really tore up about it. If anything, I am happy that I was able to refocus and get back on track for the second half.

Anyway, it’s a 5k – how many details can I give. In the end, it was great fun, Shane kicked some serious butt, my nerves were (as always) totally unnecessary, and the post-race food was amazingly tasty.

Yippee to a great day at the races!

1 comment: