Thursday, October 4, 2012

Victoria Race Weekend

So, I rode my bike yesterday morning and it didn’t suck. Granted, it was just an easy aerobic 90’ on the trainer, but still, I’ll take it as a win after last week’s bike blues.

Anyway, that isn’t what this post is about…

Nope, this post is about my favourite Thanksgiving weekend tradition ~ the Royal Victoria Marathon [I know it is actually called the Goodlife Victoria Marathon now, but I will probably always think of it as the RVM] and the wonderful race weekend atmosphere that comes with it!

In one way or another I have been spending Thanksgiving Sunday along the Victoria waterfront – either racing or cheering – for the past 5 or 6 years. It has become as much a staple in my Thanksgiving weekend as Tofurkey and mashed potatoes.

This weekend I will be taking on the 8k – short and (hopefully) fast is on the agenda for me in this final push to Auckland.

I have some time goals (which I have reassessed slightly after a painful and somewhat slow 5km time trial this past Sunday), but more than anything, I’m looking to try and run strong and relaxed, and just to generally have fun with it. I want to go into Auckland feeling good mentally. (Of course, setting a new 8k PB would most definitely help with that good feeling).

So, the time goals:
My previous best in an actual 8k race was at the Vancouver Marathon in 2011 (38:43). Not terrible, but I know I can do much better, as my best 8k split in a race came this year during the TC 10k (36:32). Unfortunately, because it wasn’t a true “8k race” (even though the split was officially timed) Shane and Kirsten won’t let me count this as my PB. So, my goal for Sunday is to be in that 36:xx range and finally, really and truly, have a solid 8k PB in my record books.

Other than that, it’s going to be a pretty cool event with lots of friends to cheer for. Shane, Kirsten, Dad, Tyler and my good friend Laura are all running the Half. Mom will be tackling the 8k with me, and in a very cool turn of events, 4 of our friends who came to cheer us on at Ironman (who were not previously runners) got inspired during that wonderful Ironman week in Penticton, and are running the 8k! It’ll be their first race, which is super awesome. Good luck Matt, Evelyne, Sean and Justin!

And you know, I think that is all I’ve got for today… Happy Thanksgiving to all you crazy Canucks out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment