Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Brain Dump

Some random thoughts for a random Wednesday…

1) This past weekend I participated in the 2nd Annual Fun Runners Super Sprint Triathlon presented by Westshore Triathlon.

The emphasis for the event was FUN and well, it delivered.

There were no timing chips, no race bibs (although we did get nicely body marked), no batons for relays, no awards, but there definitely was a great sense of community. (I think the number of volunteers actually rivaled the number of participants). Everyone brought a potluck item to share post “race” and there were even homemade finishers medals. It was pretty awesome.

Kirk and Stephanie (Westshore Triathlon) put on a great little event, bringing together everyone from experienced short course racers and Ironman finishers to triathlon virgins who completed their very first race!

For me, it was a great chance to see how my body would respond to pushing hard and fast without the real pressure of racing… and well, it wasn’t too bad. I felt pretty pooped coming off the bike and bagged out a bit on the run, but it didn’t really matter. While I know there is definitely some work to be done as I build toward Auckland, it was great to feel that intensity again that comes with short course racing and it left me feeling pretty positive about where I am at. (Even if I was a tad sore the next day, haha).

2) Saturday’s “race” was followed on Sunday by a more aerobic set of workouts (bike and run). Both were to be kept in the easy aerobic range, but were to be “hilly”. I’ve got a lot of hilly workouts on the horizon over the next few weeks and at first I couldn’t really figure out why (as I believe the course in Auckland is rather flat), then I saw this picture and it all made sense.

You're not fooling me Kelly Guest.
3) I rode my bike to work yesterday. I’ve been doing this fairly often lately and every time I ride through one stretch of the Goose I think to myself, this is a roadie’s dream.

Fresh asphalt on a secluded trail...
... definitely one for The Book of Awesome.
4) As you can see from the quality of the above photos, the camera on my phone is pretty lackluster. I have one of the original Blackberry Curves (complete with roller ball). I drop this bad boy about 100 times a day and it is still keeps on working. It’s like a tank. A very small electronic tank.

That said, my contract has hit the point where I can now upgrade my phone and I feel torn. Part of me thinks I should just keep rocking the Curve until it goes kaput, but I am also tempted to upgrade to something with a fancier camera and more functionality (you know, something that can do more than text, email and brick breaker... although I do love me some brick breaker).

But now I have a dilemma: iPhone vs. Blackberry vs. Android.

What do I do?!

Which is better? Which will suit my needs? Which has a higher quality camera? Which one will stand up to being dropped 100+ times a day? Which can resist a small coating of sweat from being in my back zipper pocket while I run? Which one will stand up to being dropped 100+ times a day?

Oh loyal blog readers, please weigh in. What should I do?

5) While we’re on the subject of comparing things, I’d just like to state that in my opinion SPEEDO > TYR.

Why, you ask? Well, for years I wore this Speedo suit…


It was great; however, a little boring and the thick straps would cause some chaffing on my neck. Aside from looking like I always had a hickey, I didn’t really mind and I really liked the way the suit fit. Not to mention, in 5 years of triathlon-ing, I only had to replace it once.

While in Boston in April, I came across this Tyr suit…


I’m a sucker for anything tie-dyed and while it didn’t fit like a glove, it fit ‘well enough’ and was cheaper than I could buy a suit at home (or so I thought), so I bought it. I quickly discovered that the thin straps meant no chaffing on my neck! It was like a revelation. Unfortunately, the suit barely lasted the summer and is now so stretched out I can’t wear it without mooning the entire pool with each push off the wall. What up with that Tyr?

So, the other day, I went in search of a new swim suit figuring I might get lucky and find something on an end-of-season sale.

I ended up buying this bad boy…


I love it! As soon as I put it on, I could feel that trusty Speedo quality. The suit fits my body shape perfectly. Not to mention, it has a fun pattern and thin straps – so no neck chafing! Oh, and because it was on sale, it was actually cheaper than the Tyr suit I bought it Boston. Win Win Win. I’m hopeful (and confident) it will last just as long as my boring old blue suit.

6) I’ve totally been shopping for jeans this week. Apparently this is a no-no. I'll admit it, I am definitely having a hard time resisting the urge to dress my post Ironman body. I haven't bought anything yet, but today could be the day.

7) Last but not least. As I alluded to in a previous post, I am trying to win Sister of the Year honours for 2013. (See #2 here). And yeah, THIS is officially on tap for 2013 (I just threw up a little in my mouth). I’m still not fully talking about it (I need to get through NZ first), but I’m getting there. It’s going to be fun. Crazy, yes, but fun.

That said, this is what Shane thinks of Kirsten’s and my plans for next August.



And I think that is all for now... HAPPY HUMP DAY!

1 comment:

  1. Trans Rockies run is on the bucket list! Jealous.

    ReplyDelete