Monday, August 20, 2012

TAG! You're it...

Ironman Canada is now less than 7 – SEVEN – days away! Just in case you are keeping track.

Anyway, I was recently tagged by Alli at See Alli Run to take part in this fun little blog game (aka. the Liebster Blog Award).

Since I always enjoy thinking up random things about myself and answering silly questions (not to mention the fact that Ironman is less than 7 days away and my mind needs a distraction), I figured, well, why not.

I’m always up for a good old fashioned game of [blog] tag. I think it’s kinda like “freeze tag” but without having to stand completely still until someone touches you and unfreezes you, right?

Okay, maybe not.

So, without further ado, here are "The Rules"
1) Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2) Then answer the questions the tagger sent for them, plus create 11 questions for the people they’ve tagged to answer.
3) Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
4) Notify the people you have tagged.
5) No tag backs.


Let's get this party started shall we?

11 Things About Me

1)  I was born and raised on one of the most beautiful islands in the Pacific Ocean (and no, I'm not talking about Hawaii). I feel very lucky to call Vancouver Island my home.

2)  I have one sister. She is older (yes, really, I'm the baby. I know no one believes this). I love her very much and would do things for her that I would not do for anyone else - which I proved this past Sunday. [more on this post-Ironman, I can't think about it anymore right now].

3)  My cousin is an Olympian (what, have I never mentioned that before?).
Another fun cousin fact: Cam's brother Jordan, (so, also my cousin) and I share a birthday - we were both born 2 days after Christmas. I am exactly 6 years older. I actually remember the day he was born quite vividly (and trust me, I have the worst memory), and I remember thinking that it was the coolest birthday present anyone could ever get. I still think it's pretty awesome - although when he turned 25, it really made me feel old.


4)  Next Sunday I will compete in my second Ironman. I'm excited, and I'm nervous. This season I have started to realize that I think I prefer short course racing. This may sound bad, but I definitely like the feeling of achievement you get with long course racing and I like the accolades and recognition you get from other people (it’s good for the ego I suppose), but I think I prefer the "trying to go as fast as possible for a short time" feeling of actually racing a shorter distance. Also, I like that I can be competitive in my age group on the shorter distances, whereas I'm not really competitive in the longer stuff. Although, I really really like the long training days that come with long course. I dunno, maybe I like both and doing a season of long, then a season of short is just gonna be the way I roll. Also, I’ve very decisive.

5)  I'm a vegetarian, a lacto-ovo vegetarian to be precise, but I don't find I usually identify myself as one. I typically tend to say "I don't eat meat". The last time I ate meat was when I was 12 or 13 years old. Everyone always asks me why I don’t eat meat. The short answer is that I don’t like it. I’m not trying to save the world or all the animals in it, but it really grosses me out to think about eating a cow or a pig or a chicken or a dog… so, well, I don’t. Also, because I never grew up eating meat, I do not know how to cook it.

6)  I don’t drink alcohol much, but I do LOVE tequila. I also enjoy red wine and a good wheat beer. A nice hefeweizen on a hot summer day is a pretty magical thing.

7)  I may be a vegetarian, but my wonderful pooch Rusty is the farthest from vegetarian that one can get. No kibble for this boxer boy - instead he enjoys a nice balanced raw meat diet. So, I may not know how to cook chicken, but push comes to shove, if you give me a butcher’s knife, I can sure hack apart a chicken carcass for the little guy to chow down on.

8)  I've never seen or had a zit that I didn't want to pop. It’s a bit of a problem.

9)  I'm slightly obsessive compulsive when it comes to wiping down my kitchen counter tops at home, but my bathroom is a bit of a mess. Ironman training does not help with the overall cleanliness of the bathroom.

10)  Whenever I see someone I know but haven't seen in a long time, I am never sure if I should say hi or not because I'm not sure if he/she will remember me... which really means - I never think anyone remembers me.

11)  And finally, as cliched as it sounds, I really truly do believe that everything happens for a reason and that at the end of the day - everything, no matter what, has a way of working out.


My Answers to Alli’s Questions

1) What's your favourite race distance?
See above. I’m a bit indecisive. Some days I would say sprint distance triathlons, other days, Ironman. Hopefully on Sunday, Ironman is my fave.

2) What's your go-to running shoe brand?
Nike. No question - always has been, always will be.

3) What's your favourite Olympic event to watch?
It is so hard to choose just one. Triathlon, track and field, swimming, cycling road race, gymnastics.

4) Who inspires you?
Both of my folks are pretty awesome. I’m lucky to have had them as role models growing up. Also, Clara Hughes.

5) What's your pre-race meal?
Cereal and coffee. Nothing more, nothing less.

6) What's your secret indulgence?
Hmmm, I don't know if this is truly secret, but whenever Shane (the husband) goes out of town I always buy a pint of Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked and eat the whole thing in one sitting so I don't have to share it with him. Thankfully, he doesn’t go away that often or I’d be HUGE!

7) What time of the day do you train?
Hands down, I prefer training in the morning. That said, with IM training, I usually am training at least twice daily, so I’ve got to squeeze it in where I can.

8) Where's your favourite place to train?
I like to mix it up, but the Victoria waterfront is a pretty nice place to run, oh and Elk/Beaver Lake.

9) What was your worst injury ever?
Hard to classify it as an injury I suppose, but my pulmonary embolism in May of 2009 definitely was the biggest life changer.

10) What does it take for you to retreat to a treadmill?
I haven’t encountered it yet. Living on the West Coast I’m lucky not to need a treadmill. The one day out of the year that it snows, I just don't run.

11) Do you run with music or not?
I never have. I’m paranoid about wild animals and therefore, don’t like having one of my senses taken away.


My Questions

1) What is your favourite place you have ever travelled to, and why?

2) If you could go anywhere in the world that you have never been before, where would it be?

3) Would you ever consider doing an Ironman triathlon? (That is, if you haven’t already. If you have, would you do it again??)

4) Who is your sporting hero?

5) Do you have a crazy guilty pleasure?

6) Dogs or cats?

7) Do you have any strange piercings or tattoo(s)?

8) Swim, bike or run?

9) What is your favourite race distance?

10) Do you believe in ghosts?

11) Did my questions bore you?


Tag, you’re it! [But only play along if you want, I realize this may not be for everyone]
Sidewalk Narrative
The Sarcastic Triathlete
All Things Paris - The Fabulous Adventures of CountessLV

Tagging 11 people is too hard. I give up...
Oh, and have I mentioned that Ironman Canada is less than 7 – SEVEN – days away. *gulp*

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tag!!! It totally made my morning. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous that you never have to run on a treadmill. I clearly need to move to Victoria.

    ReplyDelete