Friday, August 3, 2012

GO CAM GO!!!!

I haven’t really thought much about putting pen to paper, err, I guess, fingers to keyboard, lately.

It has been a crazy busy week at work with the opening of Mamma Mia! on Tuesday night. Opening night was a wonderfully cheesy, ABBA-filled good time spent with my lovely friend Kelly (first night away from the new baby ~ wooo!), but meant I did not get to bed until nearly midnight. Having to be up at 5am to head to the lake for swim practice threw me off a little (I definitely don’t function well on only 5hrs of sleep), couple that with a dose of antibiotics due to a saddle sore gone wrong (let’s just say something very similar to this happened after last Saturday’s long ride, causing me to look like I was growing a testicle on Sunday) and my body has been, well, just a little off this week. Thankfully, the antibiotics are clearing things up, and well, also, very thankfully, it happened now and not 2 weeks from now.

Anyway, this has probably been one of my lower volume training weeks in the whole build to Ironman. It wasn’t intentional (see above: crazy work, abscessed crotch, also an unexpected pool closure due to some kid’s poop, etc. etc.) but I haven’t really been too stressed about it. Actually, I’m feeling very ‘Zen’ about everything right now. At the time of writing this sentence, Ironman Canada is 22 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 14 seconds away. I’m excited and nervous, but also feeling strong and ready. I think my belief in myself and my abilities continues to grow.

Sappy self-motivational sh*t aside, this weekend includes the Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence Triathlon at Elk Lake. I’m racing the Olympic distance. I’m hopeful I will pull together a good race (although, didn’t Simon recently say “hope is not a strategy” ~ hmmm), but more than anything I just want to go out and have a good time. Fun is definitely on the agenda for this weekend.

Man, in writing that last paragraph, I’ve just realized that this is probably the most I’ve even thought about this race at all, haha.

Maybe the reason I haven’t given it much thought is for some of the reasons above (work, crotch, etc.), but probably more so due to the fact that tomorrow is Cam’s first race at the Olympics!!!!

Have I mentioned that I LOVE THE OLYMPICS??!!
Have I mentioned that my cousin ~ Cam Levins ~ is racing??!!

So yeah, general Olympic love + a family member racing = Olympic excitement overload!

Anyway, tune in tomorrow at 1:15pm PST (on CTV I think) to cheer Cam on. The family is all getting together to cheer, and we will all be wearing our new “Stop Cam” shirts that the guys at Frontrunners so awesomely gave to us. I know I speak for absolutely everyone in our crew when I say we could not be more proud of Cam.

I tried to get a photo of Rusty and I in our Olympic shirts, but well, he wasn’t really cooperating. So this is as good as it gets for now.


Also, if anyone is reading this and is like “why would you wear ‘Stop Cam’ shirts?”

Well, it comes from the American runner, Steve Prefontaine.

When he was racing at the 1972 Olympic Trials one of his competitors took off his jacket and had a 'Stop Pre' shirt on. A big group of his competitor's spectators in the stands did the same thing.

Prefontaine won the race and broke the American record in the process. He then jogged over to the stands and grabbed one of the 'Stop Pre' shirts and did his victory lap in it. As soon as he did that, it ended up symbolizing the 'try to stop me' attitude that he had. It has since been a legendary moment in track and field.

Here is a picture of Pre with the shirt.


Oh Canada ~ GO CAM GO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment