Monday, June 11, 2012

Going Long

This weekend marks the first time in nearly two years that I will race anything longer than an Olympic distance race (and really, I only raced one Oly last year, so the majority of my races were actually sprints ~ yowza). It is also the only Half IM distance race I will be doing in prep for IMC 2012.

I’ll admit – I’m nervous.
[But I’m not entirely sure what I’m nervous about, I think it is a combination of many many things - some rational, some completely irrational].

Maybe I’m nervous that I’ll try and go out with the sprint mentality of GO-GO-GO and blow up?

Maybe I’m nervous that I’ll focus on pace-pace-pace and will end up having more to give at the end?

Maybe I’m nervous that both Kirsten and Shane will royally kick my ass and everyone who comes out to cheer us on (Mom & Dad) will be bored waiting around for me to cross the finish line?

Maybe I’m nervous because I’ll probably get an ear infection after this race, because the disgusting waters of Elk Lake usually contribute to at least one ear infection a season?

Maybe I’m just nervous because that is what happens to me before a race of any distance?

So many "maybes".


Anyway, it will be my first time racing the Half IM distance at the Victoria event, but I’m quite familiar with the bike and run routes, so I think it will end up being kind of fun tackling a course that I’m well acquainted with, while still having it be a “first time”. (Also, first time = automatic PB, right?)

In a way, the race has kind of snuck up on me. I feel like in 2010 racing a Half IM was such a huge deal – and that is not to say that it still isn’t, because it very much is – it just feels more like it is part of a bigger picture now.

The distances feel more manageable.

I can confidently swim 1.9km. I can happily bike 86km. And I most definitely can run 20km.

The time that I will spend out on the race course this Saturday will be something I do in training every week and I’m comfortable with it.

During the build to IMC 2010 both of my Half distance races had very different meaning and very different expectations and, I suppose, this race is somewhat different again. As noted above, I feel much more confident in my ability to conquer the distance, so perhaps I want to push a little harder and see what I'm capable of. That said, at the end of the day, my goals are also somewhat similar.

I want to nail my nutrition.

I want to push the bike as hard as I can without compromising my run.

I want to run well and feel strong mentally.

And maybe most importantly, I really want to have fun and not worry if the day doesn’t go exactly as I want or expect it to.


So, am I ready? Yes, I think I’m ready. Now just to prove it on race day.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. I would drown if I had to swim 1.9km with other people around, so that fact that people can do this amazes me. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be awesome! You have the confidence to do whatever you wish. We are very proud of you and all your accomplishments. We will happily cheer you on to the finish.

    ReplyDelete