Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Three Years

Last night on the drive home from work, there I was (singing along to some terrible pop song I’m sure) when out of absolutely nowhere, something hit me.

“What day is it?” I thought to myself.

I quickly looked at my watch to check and realized that tomorrow (which is now today) is May 16. Three years since my PE diagnosis.

My eyes welled up with tears. I felt relief. I felt happy that the date completely snuck up on me this time around (unlike years one and two).

This may sound morbid, but I like reflecting on this anniversary. It is neat to see how far I’ve come in the last three years and to think about all that has changed.

For one, I’m an Ironman. Hopefully by the end of August I’ll be a 2x Ironman. I qualified for the Age Group World Champs and will be representing Canada in Auckland come October [sometimes this still sounds really really crazy to me]. I’m fit and I’m healthy and while some days I still get some phantom pains in my left lung, and I continue to struggle with my anticoagulation decision, I have even more days where I don’t think about my PE at all.

Life is good.

Anyway, I didn’t feel like I could not address this day. So, that is that.

May 16th – it is so nice to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment