Friday, May 4, 2012

Five for Friday

The following are some things that have been on my mind lately that I’m not sure how to get into one succinct post… so, how about five mini-posts instead?
 
1) Shane hates the trainer with a passion and so, in an attempt to not kill himself from boredom when indoor riding is required, he borrowed some bike rollers from Kelly to give them a try.

Of course, I couldn’t resist and had to try them out too. What a great new challenge! During my ride on the rollers on Tuesday evening (only my 3rd roller ride ever), I only “fell” (aka. bounced off the wall) once during the 60' ride and was even able to make numerous successful water bottle grabs (trust me, that is a marked improvement from my first attempt when I may have bounced off the walls about 6 times in the first 5 minutes).

So today, Shane and I bought our own set of rollers. I’m looking forward to many more rides on these bad boys, and hopefully one day I will even be able to move them out of the hallway and away from the safety of the narrow space between two walls.

For anyone who doesn’t know what rollers are, check out this compilation video.


I can assure you that none of my falls have looked like any of these, although I did wear my helmet the first time I tried them out, haha ~ you know, just to be safe.


2) Last weekend at the TC 10k, 5k and 8k splits were recorded during the race (of course, I can’t find these splits online now) but I know from when I first looked, my 8k split was over 2’ faster than my current 8k PB (I think about 2:20, but not 100% sure).

Anyway, I want to know – can I count this as my new 8k PB? My theory is that it was in a race and was “officially timed” so technically, I should be able to, whereas Shane says no.

So I ask you, loyal blog readers, does it count?


3) Speaking of the TC 10k, I just had a really good laugh at some of the official race photos. All I have to say is, YIKES! I cannot take a good picture when I’m running, haha.

Case in point...
Man, this TRULY is awful, but I suppose if you can’t laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?
For some reason, I also get an extreme case of the giggles each time I look at this photo of my Dad from the race. I love it. Sorry Dad, I couldn’t resist.

Well, I guess if you can’t laugh at yourself, maybe you can laugh at your family?

4) I’ve done a lot of swimming this week. It’s been good, but I’m ready to have a shower in my own bathroom and not at JdF. Anyway, yesterday, the main set of my workout was “2km continuous for time” - so essentially, a 2000m TT.

It’s been a while since I’ve done a straight 2000m and even longer since I’ve done it as a sort of time trial. It went okay. I felt pretty smooth and steady, but realized at the end that I definitely had more in the tank.

I find there is such a fine balance for me with swimming, if I try too hard, I slow way down, but I still need to push myself. It can be frustrating, but I still really enjoy it.

I suppose it is kind of like perfectly pacing a half marathon vs. going out and crushing a 5k? Regardless, I suppose swimming will always be a work in progress for me.


5) I’m super stoked it is Friday today. Thursdays are often very long days for me. I usually start the day at the pool at 6am (which means leaving the house by 5:40). From there it is onto work until 4:30, and then I often have a run workout to do before teaching yoga at VI at 7pm. If I’m lucky, I roll into our driveway about 8:30pm.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. I love getting in my workouts and I really do enjoy teaching the yoga class (especially last night after an awful and frustrating run). Some days it just makes a Thursday feel like it has lasted an entire week. Although, I suppose it does make Friday that much sweeter.

TGIF indeed!

1 comment:

  1. I did not get what was so funny about Dad's picture until I szoomed in. hahaha Kirsten's Boston's pictures have set the bar very high for good running photos.

    ReplyDelete