Wednesday, February 1, 2012

An Ironman Year and a Butt-kicking Cousin

Last Friday night as I prepared my riding gear for the next day’s ride, I strapped my bento box (or is it speed box? maybe feed box?) back on my bike and thought “You know it’s an Ironman year when the bento box gets put back on the bike.”

That thing didn’t see my bike for all of 2011, and as I strapped it back on, I came to the shocking realization that gosh, I’m doing IMC again and the training is really just beginning. It’s become such a way of life that sometimes I don’t even think about the time and commitment it takes.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to do a little list. So, without further ado...

You know it’s an Ironman year when…
(Some of these are my own, some I’ve stolen from the internet – all apply)

1) You put the bento box back on your bike.

2) You realize 2.5hrs on the trainer is really nothing and that 4-5hrs in the saddle isn’t really that long of a ride.

3) You can’t walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like your legs are a little bit dead and you know this feeling will last from now through the end of August (or whenever your IM may be).

4) You go for a 10km cool down run after a 10km race just so that you can call it a training session.

5) You think about signing up for a local half marathon, but realize you should probably turn it into a brick by riding 40k (or more) as a warm up.

6) You consider work to be recovery time between training sessions.

7) You co-workers don't ask you if you're going to train this weekend, but how long and how far.

8) You are up every day by 5:00am, but still have trouble making it to work on time at 8:30am.

9) That charming "perfume" you wear to work is chlorine.

10) You take more showers in a locker room than at home.

11) 6:30am is sleeping in.

12) Your car smells like a locker room.

13) You feel like you took the day off because all you did was swim 3000 metres.

Anyway, all that said, training last week went really well. My schedule was a little different than it has been and the shakeup was really nice. It helped keep me feeling fresh and excited about the workouts.

I also happily met my goal of not cutting any workouts short – not even by 1 second! I did them as they were supposed to be done and didn’t cheat once. It’s amazing how writing something on the internet for the entire world to see can really hold you accountable, even if no one actually reads it.

Of course, when you map your route slightly wrong and end up back at your starting point with 2 minutes left on the clock, you do look a little silly running back and forth up the road or around your office building, but whatevs.

The only minor hitch in training came on Sunday morning, when, after an awesome day of exercise on Saturday I was cruelly woken up at 4am with a pounding headache, feeling like my stomach muscles were spasming and like I was going to puke everywhere. Unfortunately I couldn’t seem to actually get anything out of my system, so I spent the morning alternating between dry heaves and “sleep” (if you can call it that).

I attempted a ‘Yoga for Athletes’ workshop in the afternoon that I had paid for long ago, but realized after the fact that I probably should have just not worried about the money and stayed home – because when I did finally get home, the fever hit. I’m thinking now I must have had a bit of the stomach flu or something.

Anyway, long story short – I didn’t do my long run on Sunday, then spent Monday at home in bed. By Monday night, I was definitely starting to come around and actually wanted to eat something. I think Shane could tell I was feeling better (and antsy) when I was up in the kitchen doing dishes, haha.

Yesterday the guts were still a little rumbly, but I managed to get my workouts in and feel good while doing them, so I think that is a great sign. Today I’ll be heading out for a run at lunch (and I can’t wait – it is really beautiful and sunny outside) and then I’m sure to get my butt kicked at trainer class tonight.


Now, off topic, I’ve got to sing the praises of my AWESOME and AMAZINGLY FAST cousin ~ Cam Levins.

Cam kicked some serious arse this weekend at the 2012 UW Invitational, setting meet records in both the 3000m and 5000m. Not to mention, his 3000m time is currently the WORLD's fastest time at that distance!

You can watch videos of both of Cam’s races here and here. Do it. You know you want to!

Watch for this kid in London. I’ve no doubt he’s going to make it.

Anyway, everyone in the family is definitely very proud. Great things are coming your way Cam! Keep up the hard work.

3 comments:

  1. yup to all of these things! and IMC, ehhhh....I'm thinking about it for 2013 (don't repeat that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you've got to do it! If you've never been to Penticton before, well, it is awesome. The course is beautiful and the people of the town are so welcoming and supportive... (and I would totally come and cheer you on!)

      Delete