Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Happy Place

Recently I’ve been feeling a little nostalgic about our impromptu trip to Maui last November, and in a strange way I actually think it might have something to do with all the yoga and meditation I’ve been doing lately.

[Of course, it could be partially due to the fact that not only is it the 2011 XTERRA World Championships this weekend, but Kelly is also there to race (I think), two co-workers are planning trips to ‘the Valley Isle’ in the new year, and I have another friend who just returned!]

Anyway, back to my original thought on the meditation, etc…

In my Yoga Teacher Training class we usually do a few different guided meditations throughout the weekend. Recently two different meditations stood out for me – one was a “pebble” meditation and the other was a “tropical island” meditation (of course, sitting here in this moment, I can’t actually remember what they were called). Anyway, getting to my point (or trying to), realistically, these two meditations were fairly different, yet, in my attempt to quiet my mind, I went to the same ‘happy’ place during each of these meditations.

And where did I ‘go’ you ask?

Well, the Kihei Aquatic Center of course.





(not what you were expecting eh?)


Thinking of that wonderful outdoor pool makes me feel all warm inside, and well, just plain happy too. I seem to have no problem visualizing myself floating in the crystal clear (and chlorinated) water. I can easily picture the sun sparkling through the water as it breaks the surface…. I suppose I just find there to be something so magical about an outdoor competition pool and since the Kihei pool is my only first had experience with a large outdoor pool, well, it becomes my happy place.

Anyway, my workout at the lovely Kihei pool in Maui last year was one of my absolute favourite moments of the trip and one of my all-time favourite workouts. I absolutely loved swimming laps – full laps – without a roof over my head. It was so great to feel the sun’s warmth on my face as I caught glimpses of palm trees in my peripheral - and I didn't even have to worry about sharks!

So, umm, is it weird that a swimming pool is my happy place?

No comments:

Post a Comment